The Associated Press reported on Wednesday on a UW study on the impacts of climate change on Washington state agriculture, water supplies, and energy consumption and cites WSU as contributing research for the report. Several media outlets published the story, including USA Today.
On Friday, Gov. Chris Gregoire announced the appointment of state Rep. Dan Newhouse of Yakima as the new director of WSDA.
Gov. Gregoire announced on Wednesday that she is appointing Ste. Michelle Wine Estates president and CEO Ted Baseler to the WSU Board of Regents.
Last Monday’s Tri-City Herald included an editorial supportive of the hiring of Thomas Henick-Kling as director of the WSU Viticulture and Enology Program.
Last week’s Eastside Business newspaper reported on the success of this year’s “A Celebration of Washington Wines” benefit auction.
Sunday’s Anacortes American reported on the efforts of Skagit County Beach Watchers to clean up plastic pollution from Puget Sound beaches.
On Thursday, the Daily Olympian reported on the reorganization plan for Thurston County and that Thurston County Extension director Cliff Moore will be given additional management responsibilities.
On Tuesday, the Kitsap Sun reported that the county is moving forward on its Sustainable Energy and Economic Development project with the involvement of the Small Business Development Center affiliated with Kitsap Co. Extension.
The latest edition of Biodiesel Magazine reports on efforts to develop value-added products from the biodiesel production by-product glycerin, including an omega-3 fatty acid for which Shulin Chen and others are pursuing a patent.
Thursday’s Tri-City Herald included a brief report on the upcoming 4-H Know Your Government conference in Olympia.
On Monday the Vancouver Columbian published a guest article by S.W. Washington Extension food safety educator Sandra Brown on how to deal with the current peanut scare.
In this week’s Capital Press
- “Researcher urges vigilance on leaf roll virus”
- “Drip irrigation makes every trickle count”
- “Crop insurance dates change for Skagit, Snohomish spuds”
- “Chainsaw Safety and Maintenance, a Hands-On Workshop”
- “WSU Official Honored by Wine Grape Growers”
- “Forest Stewardship Course: More Wildlife, Less Taxes”
- “Healthy People, Planet Focus of WSU Extension Symposium March 11”
- “Student Internship Offers Summer in France to Focus on Agriculture”
- “Veterinarian to Discuss WSU BVD Project with Ranchers Feb. 25”
- “Farming under Glass and Plastic? Possible and Profitable”
- “Teens Become Judges, Lawyers, Jurors at WSU 4-H Conference, February 14-17 in Olympia”