Have you wondered what concerns Americans have about the safety of our food? For the last decade, the international food information council has conducted scientific consumer surveys. In July 2007, they surveyed one thousand adults with specific questions about plant biotechnology. Here are a few of their findings:
- 75 percent of consumers have heard or read at least a little about food biotechnology.
- 33 percent believe that biotechnology will provide nutrition and health benefits to them and their families within five years.
- 95 percent of those surveyed will not take any actions because of concerns about food produced using biotechnology. Two-point-five percent planned to alter their purchasing behavior.
- Americans are confident about the safety of our food supply. 69 percent indicated they were “very” or “somewhat confident.” Only ten percent were not confident.
- Special concerns included disease and contamination, food handling, and food sources.