Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Microwave Ovens: Dangers of Superheating

Posted by | March 29, 2011

Microwave ovens are quick and convenient for cooking and defrosting foods, but they also pose significant risks. Overheating foods or using inappropriate containers may cause smoke and eventually fire in microwave ovens. If you have a fire in your microwave, immediately turn the microwave oven off. Leave the door closed until you are certain the fire is out.

Cooking popcorn is one of the more common culprits of microwave fires. Attempting to pop every kernel of corn with longer cooking times may result in scorching, smoke, and even fire. This is especially true when popcorn is cooked for more than four minutes. Be careful taking the popped corn out of the microwave, too. Water vapor inside your microwave may reach temperatures of 180 degrees Fahrenheit.

Finally, always follow the manufacturer’s directions and package directions for heating when using your microwave.