Did you know that knives are a frequent cause of injuries? Here are knife safety tips from the Washington Restaurant Association and the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries:
- Keep knives sharpened. Dull knives are harder to use, resulting in more injuries.
- Let a falling knife fall. Do not try to catch it. While this sounds like common sense, catching a knife may be your first impulse.
- Use the appropriate knife for the job. Knife weight and blade size matter.
- Always cut away from you.
- Never leave a knife soaking in a sink full of water.
- Take your time. Rushing preparation can lead to accidental cuts.
- Finally, keep children away from knives and teach them about knife safety.