How long does it take to roast a turkey? Many factors lengthen or decrease cooking times: the position of the oven racks, the size and depth of your roasting pan, and whether or not your oven temperature is accurate. Cooking takes longer when you:
- Start with a partially frozen turkey
- Use a foil tent through the cooking process
- Stuff a turkey
- Use a pan that is too large for the oven and blocks heat circulation
- Or when you choose a turkey that is too large for your oven, also blocking heat circulation.
Cooking takes less time when you:
- Use a dark roasting pan instead of a shiny metal pan
- Or when you add a lid or an oven cooking bag
No matter how long your turkey roasts, always use a meat thermometer and check for doneness.
For more information, call the USDA meat and poultry hotline at 1-888-674-6854.