Is a freezer an important part of your kitchen? Freezing food can be a convenient, cost effective way to preserve food for your family. However, there are a few things you can do to efficiently manage this important appliance.
- Keep the freezer full throughout the year. Energy costs per package of food increase when your freezer isn’t full.
- If you have a manual defrost freezer, defrost annually or when there is an accumulation of frost. Frost decreases space and increases energy costs.
- Place your freezer in a level, cool, dry, and ventilated space. Avoid locations near water heaters or in the sun.
- Always maintain a temperature of 0 degrees or less to preserve food quality. Use a thermometer.
- Finally, keep and use a frozen food inventory list. Organize food in groups.