PULLMAN, Wash. — Washington State University Cooperative Extension offices in at least 27 counties are inviting the public to pay them a visit before Christmas to sign scrolls wishing WSU’s Cougars success in the team’s first Rose Bowl appearance since 1931.
The scrolls will be presented to the Pasadena-bound team before the game.
Signers can also win Cougar T-shirts which will be given away in drawings at each office.
The idea was the brainchild of Joanne Ross, a WSU alumnus and Pierce County extension agent for 22 years. “I got to thinking that we have Cooperative Extension in 39 counties and that the county offices would make an ideal place for people to come and wish the Cougars good luck.
“We’ve got signs up. We’ve got them in the learning center and the extension office and people have already started signing the scrolls and signing up for the drawing for the T-shirt.
“It’s one of those things that I thought was a wonderful opportunity for people to get to know extension, get to know what we do, find our offices and realize that WSU is in every single county of the state.”
Some extension offices have taken her idea a step farther. WSU Cooperative Extension in Jefferson County is opening its Community Learning Center on New Year’s Day to welcome the public to watch the Rose Bowl game, tour facilities, and learn how to enroll in classes for the New Year.
Here’s where you sign scrolls.
- WSU Adams County Extension, 210 W. Broadway, Ritzville
- WSU Asotin County Extension, 2535 Riverside Dr., Clarkston
- WSU Benton County Extension, 1121 Dudley Ave., Prosser
- WSU Columbia County Extension, 202 S. 2nd. St., Dayton
- WSU Cowlitz County Extension, 207 4th Ave. N., Kelso
- WSU Douglas County Extension, Courthouse, Waterville
- WSU Ferry County Extension, Courthouse, Republic
- WSU Franklin County Extension, Courthouse, 1016 B, 4th, Pasco
- WSU Grant County Extension, First and C St., Ephrata
- WSU Grays Harbor County Extension, 102 W. Broadway, Montesano
- WSU Island County Extension, 1 N.E. Fifth St., Coupeville
- WSU Jefferson County Extension, 201 W. Patison St., Port Hadlock
- WSU Kitsap County Extension, 614 Division, Port Orchard
- WSU Klickitat County Extension, 228 W. Main, Goldendale
- WSU Mason County Extension, 11840 U.S. 101 N., Shelton
- WSU Pacific County Extension, Courthouse Annex, South Bend
- WSU Pierce County Extension, 3049 S. 36th St., Suite 300, Tacoma
- WSU Salishan Learning Ctr., 1728 E. 44th St., Tacoma
- WSU Skagit County Extension, 306 First St., Mount Vernon
- WSU Skamania County Extension, Courthouse, Stevenson
- WSU Snohomish County Extension, 600 128th St. SE Everett
- WSU Spokane County Extension, 222 N. Havana, Spokane
- WSU Stevens County Extension, 985 S. Elm, Suite A, Colville
- WSU Thurston County Extension, 6128 Capitol Blvd, Suite 3, Olympia
- WSU Walla Walla County Extension, 317 W. Rose St., Walla Walla
- WSU Whatcom County Extension, 1000 N. Forest St., Suite 201, Bellingham
- WSU Whitman County Extension, 310 N. Main, Rm. 209, Colfax
- WSU Yakima County Extension, 128 N. 2nd St., Rm. 233, Yakima
– 30 –