PULLMAN, Wash. – Beginning at 11 a.m., October 25, Washington State University hosts the first annual WSU Sustainability Fair. The fair is co-sponsored by numerous organizations, including the WSU Sustainability Club, the WSU Roots and Shoots Club, the WSU Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, and the WSU BIOAg Program. The fair continues through the evening of October 26.
The public is invited and all events are free of charge.
The WSU Sustainability Fair is a two-day event featuring a wide range of activities, from a panel discussion on the obstacles and benefits of campus sustainability at WSU to live music and free food.
As universities nationwide rally around sustainability by staffing offices, creating investment funds for conservation projects, retrofitting old buildings and purchasing locally, the WSU Sustainability Fair will play a central role each year in assessing WSU’s progress toward sustainability, and keeping the vision of environmental, social and economic sustainability vigorous and effective at Washington State University.
Some of the fair highlights include:
- Keynote speakers, including Dr. Daniel Hillel, an international authority on the historical impacts of unsustainable agriculture;
- Panel Discussion: What are the Obstacles to Sustainability at WSU?;
- Student/Faculty presentations on sustainable agriculture;
- Environment and sustainability film festival;
- Free live music by Tracy Lyons’ biofuel-powered band, a critically acclaimed singer-songwriter whose alternative sound is rooted in classic rock (event in the Student Recreation Center parking lot);
- Sustainability Smack Down! Student essay competition and film documentary, sponsored by KEEN FootWear (event in the Student Recreation Center parking lot);
- Recyclemania organizational meeting– a nationwide college recycling competition;
- Win a Trek 4300 Mountain Bike, athletic shoes, tee-shirts or even a massage;
- Grant writing competition.
Most events will be held in the Smith Center for Undergraduate Education (the CUE). For a complete listing of events and locations, please visit http://css.wsu.edu/sustainability/agenda.html.
For more information and a list of event sponsors, please visit http://css.wsu.edu/sustainability/.