PULLMAN, Wash. — Jake D. Yancey, son of Fred and Virginia Yancey, 7910 W. Matlock-Brady Road, Elma, was elected president of the Washington State FFA at the organization’s 68th state convention on the Washington State University campus last weekend.
Yancey is a junior at Mary M. Knight High School where he is vice president of the Elma Chapter of the FFA. He was president of the chapter in 1996-1997 and vice president of the FFA’s District III in 1996-1997.
His FFA advisor is Greg Nordheim.
Others elected were:
- Brian J. Long, vice president. He is the son of Gary and Julie Long, 149 Pataha St., Pomeroy. Long is a senior at Pomeroy High School where he is FFA chapter reporter and FFA District IV vice president. He also is president of the high school’s drama club and placed sixth in the state Voice of Democracy contest. His advisor is Larry Wilson.
- Nathaniel A. Hubner, treasurer. He is the son of Tim and Sandy Hubner, Rt 1, Box 158, Fairfield. Hubner is a senior at Liberty High School where he is FFA chapter president and FFA District V vice president. He was Fairfield Chapter secretary in 1996-1997 and treasurer in 1995-1996. His advisor is Curt Greenwalt.
- Rebecca J. Thomson, sentinel. She is the daughter of David and Kaye Thomson, 7788 Zell Road, Custer. She is a senior at Ferndale High School where she is FFA chapter president. She is on the national livestock judging team for FFA and 4-H, and chair of the parliamentary procedure team that won first place in state FFA competition in 1997-1998. She also placed seventh nationally in FFA Creed Speaking in 1994-1995 and is a member of the National Honor Society and the Valley Vaqueros 4-H Club. Her advisor is Richard Rightmire.
- Jodi S. Frederick, reporter. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Harley Frederick, 717 Gormley, East Wenatchee. Frederick is a senior at Eastmont High School where he is the FFA chapter reporter. In 1996- 1997 he was FFA District VII president. Frederick also is a member of Sunrise, and was the Rotary Vocational Student of the Month in 1997- 1998. His advisors are Bob Brown and Lloyd Thompson.
- Becky A. Tsenhart, secretary. She is the daughter of Ken and Marsha Tsenhart, 6280 Everson Gosehn Road, Everson. Tsenhart is a senior at Mt. Baker High School where she is concluding her second year as FFA chapter president. She was FFA District President in 1997-1998 and FFA Chapter Sentinal in 1995-1996. Tsenhart also is a member of the National Honor Society. Her advisors are Todd Rightmire and J. D. Baser.
More than 2,500 FFA members, chapter advisors and guests attended the 68th state FFA Convention, which ended Sunday.
– 30 –