PULLMAN, Wash. — The impact of media violence on children and families will be the subject of a free satellite series airing at 12 locations around Washington on October 8 and 22 and November 5 and 19 from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
The series, which is sponsored by Iowa State University Extension to Families and Washington State University Cooperative Extension, will feature speakers backed by a total of more than 40 years of research.
They will discuss the impact of violent televison and movies, the impact of violent video games, entertainment media violence and its impact on children at different ages, and helping parents and children become critical viewers.
“We want to increase awareness about this topic, debunk some myths and give people some practical methods for dealing with violence in the media,” said Ann Diede, WSU Cooperative Extension, Chelan and Douglas counties.
In Washington, the teleconference will be viewed at the following WSU Cooperative Extension and WSU Learning Center sites. Contact thesite coordinator for more information and to register.
- Asotin: Mark Heitstuman, WSU Cooperative Extension, Asotin County, (509) 758-5147 or email@example.com.
- Bellingham: Drew Betz, WSU Cooperative Extension, Whatcom County, (360) 676-6736 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Colville: Al Kowitz, WSU Cooperative Extension, Stevens County, (509) 684-2588 or email@example.com.
- Kennewick: Lizann Powers-Hammond, WSU Cooperative Extension, Benton County, (509) 735-3511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lacey: Marilyn First, WSU Cooperative Extension, Thurston County, (360) 786-5445 x7906 or email@example.com.
- Longview: Maureen MacCracken, WSU Learning Center, Cowlitz and Wahkiakum counties, (360) 578-5484.
- Renton: Carey Roos and T. Diane Day, WSU Cooperative Extension, King County, (206) 205-3152 or firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 205-3125 or email@example.com
- Spokane: Chris Koehler, WSU Cooperative Extension, Spokane County, (509) 477-2169 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vancouver: Blair Wolfley, WSU Cooperative Extension, Clark County, (360) 576-6030 or email@example.com.
- Walla Walla: Debbie Moberg, WSU Learning Center, Southeast Washington, (509) 529-5959, cell (509) 386-6128 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wenatchee: Ann Diede, WSU Cooperative Extension, Chelan and Douglas counties, (509) 667-6540 or email@example.com.
- Yakima: Janet McCann, WSU Learning Center, South Central Washington, (509) 674-5946 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
– 30 –
Diede1.mp3 (255 kb)
What will participants take home from this satellite series? Ann Diede, Washington State University Cooperative Extension Educator says:
“They are going to come away with more information and more knowledge about what the effects are of violence in our media (16.3 sec.)…. “about the research related to these different topics.”