On Wednesday, the technology news web site techflash.com reported that the state’s Life Sciences Discovery Fund could be gutted under budget proposals currently under consideration in the state Legislature.
An article in Sunday’s News Tribune (Tacoma) about potential applications of federal energy program stimulus funding includes comments from Extension Energy Program director Jake Fey on the scope of the funding.
Last Monday’s Spokesman Review carried a front-page story on how the recession is spurring interest in gardening and Spokane County Master Gardeners are responding with classes on growing your own food.
A guest Master Gardener article in the Skagit Valley News on growing a home vegetable garden refers readers to the Discovery Garden at the NWREC for ideas and Master Gardener assistance.
Saturday’s Longview Daily News included a story on community interest in locally produced foods and cites the role of WSU Extension in the effort.
Sunday’s Longview Daily News included a story about how pending state and county budget cuts might affect Cowlitz County Extension programs.
Last week’s Whidbey Examiner reported on how both state and county budget shortfalls might impact Island County Extension and its programs.
Ag Weekly last Tuesday reported on findings of a three-year research project by ARS, the U.S. Forest Service and WSU soil scientist Chris Pannkuk comparing erosion rates between conventionally managed and burn/low till systems in winter wheat.
Stories about CSANR’s annual Organic Acreage Profile have appeared in the following media:
On Thursday, NPR’s Northwest News Network aired a story with Steve Sheppard on the status of his research into bee colony collapse disorder.
An article in Monday’s Lodi News-Sentinel (Calif.) about a local worm rancher cites WSU as the source for an informational sidebar on red worms.
In this week’s Capital Press
- “Organic acreage continues to grow across West”
- “WSU awards top ag faculty and students”
- “Deep budget cuts loom”
- “Tractor safety workshops set”
- “New Courses, New Leadership for WSU Online Certificate in Organic Ag”
- “WSU CAHNRS Students Honored at 50th Annual College Awards Banquet”
- “CAHNRS, Extension Employees Honored”
- “Washington Organic Acreage, Sales Continue to Grow”
- “NIH Grant Focuses on Cost Effectiveness of Substance Abuse Prevention”
- “NIH Grant Brings Together Economists, Psychologists, Departments, Extension”